Friday, July 13, 2007

Chinese 101

I just finished my third test. One midterm, one final, and three more tests to go till the summer is over. It's already gone by so fast!

I did very well on my last test and I think I did pretty well on today's test. However, after my oral (which consisted of reading 2 dialogues and reciting 2 stories that I wrote) I talked to my teacher to ask for some advice in speaking, since I have the writing down.

I have been focusing more no fluidity rather than meaning. I aim to speak fast rather than correctly. I may have the correct grammar, and I may be pronouncing the words correctly, but without correctly saying the tones, a Chinese person would have no idea what I'm saying. So here is where my problem lies: tones.

In Chinese, each word has one of 4 tones. - / v \

- = voice is high pitched (stahwp)
/ = voice rises, sounds like a question (stop?)
v = voice inflection goes up then down (stOOoooOOOp)
\ = voice drops sharply, sounds like an exclamation (stop!)

But this is what is given to read 99% of the time:
先从华盛顿感飞到芝加哥.
Translation: First, from Washington DC you will fly to Chicago.
Tones aren't dicated on characters. So, you must memorize memorize memorize.
If you dont have the tone right, the word means something completely different. I could have said "First, from wallfields power to your brothers house," If I say tones incorrectly.

I have certainly never worked so hard at school before. This summer program truly is intensive. I think it'll pay off in the end, though. And I'm glad to hear that I'm one of the top students in my class.

----------- end school ponderings--------------

Last night my friend's roommate drove us to one of his favorite restaurants to celebrate the end of his exams (he majors in insurance and always asks us about insurance, as if we know) and, since we were celebrating his accomplishment, we let him order:

That's right, folks! Cow stomach! Mmmmmmmmmmm

Never again.

Today we're heading to the Lama Buddhist Temple. My friends swear its one of the most beautiful parts of Beijing... we'll see.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Hey Girl! Loved the pics and blog on the Great Wall (Steps). It will be so neat to stay overnight there. Sunrises and sunsets. You can have the cow stomach but the tofu sounds good. Wonder what the recipe is for that?? I thought their ideas on shoes was interesting. Nothing new in Santa Fe. I try to keep up with the happenings in Frisco. Mostly it's about the rain!

Take care and enjoy!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Ashley

Just wanted you to know how much I'm enjoying your blog. I'm seeing and learning about China through you and it makes you not seem so far away!!! Last night Remy opened the door as we were walking by with Cosmo and Abbey. Glad your dad was on reflection point! Abbey thinks she can play with the big boys.

Have fun and be safe!
Bev