Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Cheerio Effect

1.) I got a 96.35 on my midterm. The best so far on any of my tests!

2.) I needed to celebrate

3.) I miss home.

4.) A one Ms. Jaclyn Winkelman (a page friend from GW) was in Beijing for a long weekend.

Since Xi'an I've kind of been in a funk, and needed some reminder of home, so Monday night Jackie and I met up and went to a restaurant called Grandma's kitchen that is notorious among expats. They have authentic "American" food, their wait staff speaks English, and they can satisfy any craving. Since I hadn't eaten a thing for 2 whole days, Jackie and I decided to go down to Chinatown (no pun intended) and order up a storm! We started with this quesidilla:


Then I got my AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS HAMBURGER. McD's has nothing on this. (notice the milk shake)


Then Jackie got her tuna melt.


This was by far the most expensive meal I've had in Beijing (80kuai/person= $10), but it was well worth it and I forsee myself returning many-a-time.

Yesterday Jackie and I planned to meet at the Pearl Market (which is where you buy pearls and anything knock-off). I attempted to navigate the Beijing bus system by myself and much to my un-surprise, I got lost, so I quit and decided to meet her on a familiar place.

We got a few snacks at the Wangfujing snack street. This is coke with dry ice. It tasted horrible and I'm almost sure that it's toxic!


And not wanting to break with our routine of eating not-Chinese food, we went and got some sushi... always good.

The highlight of these last few days, however, was the discovery of a grocery store called "Jenny Lous." It had Western food! Anything from Reeses to tortillas to brie to tv dinners. And as many of you well know, the one food in life I cannot do without is REGULAR Cheerios. Well, they had it, so naturally, I snapped it up, at the cost of $11/box. I think it was the best 85kuai I have ever spent. My purchases:

(Not pictured is colby jack cheese, bagels, and cream cheese)

There is no better way to get out of a funk than to be around things you recognize, especially food. My Cheerio purchase made my week (though, they are stale). I now have the strength to get through my 60 new vocab words a night, and my extra study hours! Thank you, Cheerios!

I've been so busy that I havn't been able to read much of Harry Potter. I'm only at about pg 130/760something. I have time now, so I plan on spending the rest of my afteroon with my favorite boy wizard!

No comments: