Monday, October 1, 2007

3rd Time's a Charm

The Great Wall the first time at Mutianyu:
Not too many people, a bit of a hike to get up to it. Overall I give it 7/10.

The Great Wall the Second Time at Badaling:
Way too many people, overly commericalized. I give it a 3/10.

The Great Wall this weekend for the third time at Simatai:
Absolutely perfect weather. Felt like we were the only ones on the wall. I give this a 100+/10.



We hiked from Simitai to Jinshanling, which is a little over 6miles. Our director told us that it would take us anywhere from 3 to 6hrs to hike. Natalie and I were the 5th and 6th people to arrive at Jinshanling out of over 80 and clocked in at just 2hrs 20minutes. Here's a look at what we conquered:


That night we had the option of spending the night on the Wall. Of course, there was nothing that would get in the way of me sleeping on ChangCheng (GW), not even a cold. Being able to see the stars was an absolutely amazing experience. As soon as we got in our sleeping bags, clouds started to roll in and cover the stars and moon (which was almost full). The sight was awe-inspiring. I nodded off and ended up not waking up until 4:30am, at which point I realized how cold I was.


We aroused at about 5:30am in order to clean up camp and see the sunrise.



Sunrise

No comments: