Monday, October 15, 2007

(Communist) Party in Beijing!

The Chinese Legislature is in session, and you know what the means (besides phony laws that will be forgotten in a month)- a crackdown across the city! No sitting outside, you better watch that traffic light, and don't you dare think of getting in an altercation.

It also means that our cafeteria is shut down. Why, you ask? My school butts up to a famous government-run hotel, the Guoyi Binguan, which houses all of the politicians for the next 2 weeks. Its kind of neat because we see them walking around everywhere, but we have absolutely no idea who they are. Anyways, our cafeteria along with a handful of stores and restaurants are closed for a few weeks because of their close location to the hotel.

So, besides the Communist party, I also had one of my own: my 21st birthday. Let's just say that I've been celebrating all week and I'm happy to have such great friends, such open bars, and such understanding parents. :-)

Went out to lunch with my teachers on Friday and they ordered birthday noodles. The noodles signify a long life and the egg, well, everyone forgot what the egg signified:



Saturday my friends and I visited the art district for a little culture then headed back to my school b/c my program gave us money to throw a birthday party because 3 of us had the same birthday (Sunday). We had pizza, cakes, dumplings, fruit, french fries, more birthday soup and 50 of our closest friends, roommates, and classmates. It was pretty cute.

Later that night we headed to a German restaurant because, guess what, its Oktoberfest! The rest of the night, well, I'm sure you can guess.


(note- that really wasn't my beer...)

Thanks to everyone who sent me their wishes via mail, internet, and otherwise... I really appreciate having such great people in my life!

-Ashley

No comments: