Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival

Remember that moon cake I pictured in my last post? Well, yesterday was the day to eat it. Did I? No. They're not very appetizing.

Anyways, I asked so many Chinese people, HOW in the world do we celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival, which takes place on the Harvest Moon. They all said eat moon cakes and be with your family. I didnt and couldnt do either of those two, so we went to a park not too far from school to see if people were doing anything out of the ordinary.

Turns out they weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, but this time we decided to partake in their normal activities: i.e.- fan dancing.





Here is our new "dancing" teacher. He was THE MAN. Hands down, the best dancer in China.


After we finished fan dancing, so did all of the old ladies and our dancing sen-say(not sure how to spell). He was leaving and saw us and decided to give us an impromptu lesson. About 100 Chinese gathered around us to see what we were made of.


We made a date to meet with him in the park tonight to teach us fan dancing, but it started to rain. Shucks. Next time.

In the mean time, check out this video of fan dancing. It includes our "teacher" and if you wait till the end, you can see me in the background showing off my moves! And don't forget, they do this pretty much EVERY night!

No comments: