Monday, October 29, 2007

Mao Zhuxi

Yesterday I had my roommate proof an essay I wrote about China needing to balance their focus between development and protecting it's traditions and historical sites. Case in point, I found this sign at Beijing's Development Museum:


Anyways, so in my essay (in Chinese, of course) I was arguing that the Chinese government hasn't done enough to protect its 特别的传统 (special traditions). And I noted that though this circumstance may not be the fault of the current Chinese government and in fact was the consequence of Mao's Cultural Revolution, the current government needs to put forth more effort.

Well, my roommate and I discussed this and she said that Mao's policies never meant any harm and were good for the people, it was the people under him that killed the people, exciled 知识分子(well-learned people), and destroyed Chinese artifacts and historical relics. She completely painted Mao as a saint. She even went so far as to say that while he was sick in his last years, his wife gave phony orders supposedly from Mao himself.

So I tell her, "well, it is Mao's own policy to rapidly develop China and shun it's history and destroy cultural relics."
She says "No way. Who says this? Where do you get this information? What do you have to back it up? It's the people below him's policy. He only meant well-being for China and its people."
"According to Chinese history books."
She concedes, "According to Chinese history books."

No comments: