Sunday, August 5, 2007

Weekend ReCap

Friday after my so-so test Stephen, Lisa and I headed to the Forbidden City. Despite it's name, the Forbidden City is neither a city, nor forbidden. There were soooo many people! Ack! We kind of breezed through it, because it lacks much interest.


Here is where the Xingbake (Starbucks) used to be.

It closed its doors a few weeks ago after 6 years of business within the walls. I'm pretty sure it was the only biz inside, because the rest of the forbidden city is museum.

We then headed over to the Laoshe tea house where we went last week, but this time we rented a private little room. We got to pick which room we wanted, and chose this one because it looked like we were in someone's living room.


The view outside of our little room. Notice the grass... growing inside. So Zen-like.


Our lovely tea expert. Pouring our $50US tea... Don't spill!


Miriam trying her hand at properly preparing tea


The group


And oh-so-yummy food


Saturday our program took us to the Temple of Heaven and the Pearl Market, which was conviently located across the street.

The Temple of Heaven was just a park with a temple here and there. I saw some Chinese people dancing the Samba, playing badmitton, and playing funky flute-like instruments. Overall, they all seemed to be having a great time, as were we!



This is me yelling at a wall. It's supposed to echo to the other side, and does. I yelled in Chinese "Wo bu xihuan faguoren!!" (I hate the French!) and that managed to incite many giggles from near-by Chinese people.



After the Temple of Heaven, we managed to hit up the famed Pearl Market.
Floor 1: Electronics
Floor 2: Purses/Shoes/Clothes
Floor 3: Pearls!

Let me start off with: I DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME!
My roomie and I had a pretty good tactic of bargaining. She knew exactly what kind of bag I wanted (Gucci, grey, medium size, over-the shoulder) and what price I was willing to pay. I only found one or two good possiblities, but I just refused to buy a purse I didn't fully like, so, after hours of bargaining, looking, and even walking to a private apartment full of purses, I came away with, get this, NOTHING!

There was one time when I was pretending to look at other purses while my roomie was inquiring about the one I wanted. I asked to see a purse (that I didnt want) and started haggling to pass time. The original price was about 580kuai. I said 70kuai and stuck to it, thinking they would never go for that price. But, turns out, it was acceptable price and she said I could have it. I then had to worm my way out of that and go back to my roommate and help her procure me my Gucci.

Next, we ascended one floor to the pearls. It looks like a giant bead store with hundreds of kiosks all selling the same exact thing. Only thing is, these are for real! The only thing I bought all day was a necklace with two drop-down pearls that I hand picked, for a very good price. I didnt go all out because I knew I'd be returning in 2 weeks with my 'ol folks.

My friends, though, (and do forgive my expression) went down to Chinatown. They bargained up a storm and ended up with an insane amount of pearls for about $70US. 3 pairs of pearl earings, 11 pink pearl bracelets, 3 or so necklaces...

We talked with our Pearl lady and she asked us our nationality. We asked her to guess and she said (in chinese) "You're not Chinese, and you're not American, so you must be European." Why are we not American, we ask? Because we bargain too well. The Americans have so much money that they don't bargain.
Lesson learned: Bargain up a storm.

No comments: