Monday, August 13, 2007

GORGE-ously Crossing Boundaries

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!

Ok, enough of that jazz.

As in every other weekend, as soon as our Friday test concludes, we head out to see some sight.

This time we went to a Chinese "Ethical Culture Exhibition." I think it was supposed to be like an ethnic Chinese culture fair, but who knows. They had beautiful lights made of silk, performers, and fair games.

Here is a hot-dog stand that I found.

Hot dogs in Chinese are litterally translated. "Regou" Re= hot, gou=dog. I always knew my dog was hot stuff!

Oh, and for all of you who have heard about the story of cardboard being mixed with meat and put in baozi (breakfast buns w/ meat in them) in China, well, the reporter who wrote the story was just sentenced to a year in jail for fabricating the story.

On the way home I found these curious handle bars in the ditie (subway)


We went to bed pretty early because our goal was to leave CET by 5:30 the next morning and head about 2-3 hours outside of Beijing to Longqinxia, a beautiful gorge. We hopped on a bus that was possibly the most umcomfortable bus ride of our lives. My friend Stephen is quite tall and he unfortunately got stuck in a middle seat, where his legs didnt fit at all! The bus was so packed, that Chinese people were squeezed in the aisle and had to stand for the whole 2 hours! Luckily, most of the people got off at the Great Wall stop, and our stop was the last and we were able to sit the whole time!

Once we reached the gorge, we were greeted by this:

We were ready to enter the dragons mouth and hike up this exhausting hill, but instead were wonderfully surprised that the dragons innards consisted of many escalators!

Phew!

We then took a boat around the gorge and it let us off at a spot where we can hike. The weather was absolutely beautiful, the scenery was equally perfect, and we were so happy to reach the top!




Our time was limited at the Gorge because we had to make it back to CET for "China Night", where every class performs a skit and people sing Chinese songs and stuff... but we mangaged to squeeze in some canoeing at the Gorge, we just couldnt resist!




Needless to say, the gorge was absolutely beautiful, and if next week's Yangtze River Cruise (to the 3 Gorges) is anything like this one, I'm sure we'll be in awe!

Speaking of my parents, they're in Tokyo right now. 3 days and 2 tests in counting till their arrival!

After a very uncomfortable 3-hour bus ride later, we make it back for China Night, which was fun. Since I wasn't able to make it back for the rehearsal, my lines got cut significantly, which didnt hurt my feelings in the least bit, I was actually quite relieved!

Since China Night was basically the culmination of everything, of course, afterwards was supposed to be one big party. EVERYONE went out that night. 1/2 of us just so happened to end up at the same bar/club. As the night progressed I realized that there definatley are different standards of student-teacher boundaries in China.

As I mentioned before, one of my teachers went out dancing with my friends (I didn't go because they took too long to figure out where to go). This time, someone who works in the front office, who we practically treat as a teacher, was dancing quite intimately with one of the students (who, by the way, will only be here for another week). Next thing we know, I turn around and she and the student are kissing passionately! WHAT?!?! She's only a few years older than us, but still, it's hard to get used to seeing your teachers or whatever in that kind of setting in that kind of state!

Ok, so enough of that. I don't know when this will get posted b/c our internet has been down for 5 days in counting...

Thursday is our final kaishi (test), Friday is our final koushi (oral test). Can't wait for the semester to end to and to get my travels started!

Bon voyage,
Ashley

No comments: