Saturday, August 25, 2007

Our Dam(n) Trip

Nimen hao, all! It feels like its been forever and 10 lbs ago that I've blogged or written something worth while.

First off, I'll start with Beijing. Parents arrived a week ago Thursday, got upgraded in their hotel room, actually moved to a different hotel altogether, and lets just say, it was quite the deal! Here is their room:

(there are a set of electric blinds separating the bathroom from the bedroom, THANK GOD!)

They visited Tiananmen Sq & Forbidden City the second day:


And I had my summer school graduation. This is my class:


Second day was the summer palace. I think it's definately one of my fav spots in Beijing. So beautiful, yet, the weather is ridiculously hot!




Third day we spent solely at the Pearl Market. While we were at the Pearl Market (for almost 6 hours), dad went to the Temple of Heaven to keep himself busy. Mom and I bargained up a storm and bought close to 20 pearl necklaces(some full pearls, some necklaces with just a few pearls), pearl earings/bracelets, 6 purses, shirts and such...



After that we spent went to Silk Street till it closed where we bought some more goodies. Even after all of that shopping, my mom vows to go back to the Pearl Market (she's having buyers remorse, and by remorse, I mean, she's remorseful she didn't buy more).

At these places I've been acting as sole negotiator. I think I've definately been earning my keep with the folks. Every negotiation usually starts with them being surprised that I'm speaking in Chinese. Then inevitably it goes to "I live in Beijing, I'm not stupid, this price is way too expensive." Then we go into hard-line negotiation. 90% of the time, simply walking away gets you your price. Also, never act too interested in an item, oh, and don't tell them you're American. When I shop, I'm officially French.

Monday we went to the Great Wall. We went to a section I had never been at, and, turns out, is the busiest section. Actually, way too busy to actually enjoy. I really wish I could have taken my parents to a different section, though the other section was farther away and more strenuous of a climb, there are way less people. Needless to say, they've now officially been to the Great Wall!



Our Monday trip to the Great Wall also included a trip to the Ming Tombs (which lasted maybe 30 minutes), quick visit to a Jade factory, and lunch at a traditional Chinese medicine research center. Parents got a diagnosis from a traditional chinese medicine (tcm) doctor, and mom thinks my dad's diagnosis was right on. All they did was feel our pulse and look at our tongues. Dr. said dad has a fatty liver, and perscribed him 2 months of herbs that would cost about $300US.

Tuesday we flew to Chongqing to catch our boat, even though it didnt leave till Wednesday morning. A guide picked us up from the hotel and took us to some kind of immigrant communal temple place. Even though I didnt really understand its exact function, I found it to be utterly beautiful. I loved the colors and the concept:


Chongqing is a city that really isnt on anyone's map, but my parents and I found it a little charming. Despite its ungodly humdity, it charming because is hilly like San Francisco (no bikes), on the Yangtze River, and very quiet. Such a contrast from Beijing, and so refreshing. Ok, so there, we caved and ate McDonalds. I guess we can only take in so much Chinese at once!

We got to the cruise and my parents cabin was butted right up next to the bar. Poo. It had two single beds and was quite cramped, so after negotiating (and eventually, walking away), they were able to upgrade to a suite. Now they got two single beds pushed together, and bathtub with a shower, and a living room with couch, and little kitchen. I think it made the trip 100x better and more comfortable. I still stayed in a single cabin (also, next to the bar), so here is what it looked like:


Dad and I lounging in their luxiurious cabin suite drinking, eh, water...:


Oh, and to shower, I had to pull a red curtain around the toilet and turn on the sink which would turn into a shower. Let's just say that I often visited my parents room!

Our boat:


Mom and Pop w/ the Captain:

(Oh, we had assigned seating for our meals and our table had a little sign that said the "Morgan Family", our waiter thought it cute to address my dad as "Captain Morgan")

So day 1 on the cruise we stopped in Fengdu, the Ghost City. It had a temple of hell or something. The remainder of the day we were on the boat, which didnt bother us, because the humidity was so unbearable. Temple of Hell or whatever really lived up to its name!



Day 2 we started entering the gorges. They were absoltutely beautiful. Our shore excursion this day was one where we took a ferry to some smaller lesser gorges then got in "pea pod" boats, which were commandeered by 4 or 5 Chinese "trackers". These guys were sooooo skinny, but had the bodies of gods. I couldnt believe it. Not only did they row us for an hour or two, but they also had to get out at the shallow part and "track" the boat, which requires them to pull the boat full of 11 or so fat foreigners across rocks. I was in awe.






After the excursion my mom and I went and got facials. The first thing the facial girl asked me was if I could speak Chinese (because she heard me speak it when we first got on the boat). My facial wasnt all that relaxing, because I was having to really think and constantly speak Chinese with her (Mary).

-- Begin Side Note--
Before the trip I really thougth my Chinese would suffer b/c I would primarily be speaking English with my folks, but the exact has become true. I really think that my Chinese language skills have improved very much over this past week, because my parents really rely on me. I'm always talking with taxi drivers, bartenders, and others and I dont have my friends to rely on. I really have learned that the true way to know and learn the language is through real-world practice. It is tiring, but well worth it. I've even begun to notice that I'm beginning to THINK in Chinese! Unfortunately, my English skills (as you may be able to notice) are taking a severe hit. So now, my English and my Chinese are mediocre!
-- End Side Note--

Mary and I really hit it off and the next thing I know, she calls me the next day and asks me to visit her in the beauty shop. She had no customers and just wanted to dance. So, we just bobbed around, showed her some disco moves and the electric slide, talked about Chinese music. Then she asks me to help her write a letter to an American couple who sent her twin sons some clothes. It was great because I was actually translating! She told me in Chinese, and I wrote in English.

Later on Day 3 she even called my parents room and asked to talk to me. She wanted me to go dancing at a disco. I refused to dance, so she took me to the deck and next thing I know, its her, me, and about 5 Chinese cruise worker guys. She keeps introducing them to me and asking me if I think they're "shuai ge" (handsome guys). I respond (because it's the polite thing) "dou shi hen shai" (all of them are handsome). I slowly come to realize that I think she wants to hook me, the American, up with these boys. Needless to say, I all of a sudden became tired.


Day 3 daytime we visited the 3 Gorges Dam. Or, as all of our tour guides called it "The Dam Project." (Much to foreigner giggles). The Damn is certainly extraordinary and quite an undertaking. The night before it took our boat 3-4hours to progress through the 5 locks. Each lock took us down 20 meters (or 60 feet). Let's just say that it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that my dad was fascinated the entire freakin time! (even almost skipped dessert!)




The 3 Gorges Dam also brings up another observation. Everyone of our tour guides mentioned, almost adroitly, about how the government has greatly satisfied the 1 million people and farmers in their relocation efforts as a result of the dam increasing water levels upstream. The repeated propoganda for the foreign tourists was amazing and quite transparent. One would have to wonder how the farmers really felt!

Oh, and this point of the trip, I will accept all the pity my mom and I can get. My dad's dribble meter went off the chart. Off the freakin chart...

Day 4 of the cruise is today. We went through one more dam and ended in Wuhan. From the boat we went straight to the airport where we sat for 4 hours waiting for our 1 hour flight to Hangzhou.

Right now I'm writing from our hotel room in Hangzhou. It's about 10:30pm and both of the parents are sleeping, undoubtedly because both have contracted colds. Our first impression of Hangzhou is one of beauty. We look forward to the next few days. We are here for 2 more days, then head to Shanghai for 3 more, then back to Beijing for 2, then parents fly home on Saturday and I start school again on Monday!

One last thought: Something I've realized is that I'm definately not in love with China. I find it interesting, yet sometimes difficult to understand. The one thing that I would say is my biggest qualm with China is the constant feeling that I'm being taken advantage of because I'm a foreigner. Taxis are automatically much more expensive, meals will be miscalculated, or you'll be taken to places you never intended of going. I just feel like I can never really let my guard down and fully relax.

Oh, and each day of the cruise started with a wake-up call. I do recall the first day having a housekeeper unlock the door to my cabin at 7:37 in the morning to clean. Actually, something I've noticed is that housekeepers walk into your room many times a day, anytime they like, anywhere... boat, hotel, wherever...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet cruise! Hot, sweaty - almost lured into a prostitution ring - sounds like a party! Btw - the tour guides are spewing propaganda. The relocated farmers, were displaced from areas that have been completely self sufficient for centuries and unaffected by the country's ups and downs. True they now have things like running water, but they also live in concrete jungles that are similar in appearance to our prisons. Hey can you pick me up one of those new "Lick Me and Die Elmo's"? Depending on what I do tonight, maybe we can try to skype Sunday mornin. Have fun! PS - much to my chagrin your damn dog is still alive.

Bigger Brother