Tuesday, December 4, 2007

New Pants & 农村

New Pants, the best band in China. Check them out on YouTube. You may laugh, go ahead, but they are soooooooooooooooooooo worth it. Gotta love the dancing. Here is my friend, Laura, and the keyboardist of New Pants after the show. He is amazing.



Ok, so we went to the 农村(countryside) this weekend. Our program put us up in a swanky hotel equipped full with a waterfall, a giant pond, basketball court, tennis courts (all indoors, btw), bowling alley (which I took advantage of), squash court, pingpong stadium, shuffleboard, and so so much more. Turns out, this is a place where all of the rich cityfolk go to get away from the Beijing smog and do a little sporting activity.

We spent most of the first day preparing for that night, the annual "China Night" where each class preforms a skit and our roommates sing songs and stuff. Well, I've done China Night before and it can be dreadfully long and I hate doing skits more than anything, afterall, I am 21 now (wow, that felt great). So, instead, I spent all week re-writing Britney Spear's "Oops, I did it again" into "Oops, 我又说英文" (Oops, I spoke English again {funny, because we have a language pledge that no one follows}). So, we preformed our song and turns out it was the best of the bunch, so basically, I'm just waiting for my recording contract.

Ok, so after a very long night, we had an early wake-up call because we had to visit a countryside middle school and present presenatations about American life (in Chinese) to the middle schoolers, while they presented presentations (in English) about their lives. It was adorable! After I finished my report, a girl got up and said "You are my favorite, you are beautiful." As soon as they allowed us to have free time, all of the girls in my class ran to me to talk. There were maybe 6 kids around me and 6 kids around the other 5 of my classmates.
Anyways, so here are some of my girls:

Ooo, and the writing on the blackboard behind us, I could read almost all of it... yay!

Ok, and here is the whole class including my classmates and teachers:


None of us wanted to go, but in the long run, it was a great experience! My new friends asked me to come back and visit them. I promised I would.

No comments: