Sunday, December 16, 2007

Goodbye, China

So, almost 6 months and to the day later, I am packing my bags and saying Zaijian to my temporary home.

I've successfully completed 2-years worth of Chinese lessons, and in doing so, have pushed my limits and comfort zone to extremes that I never knew were in me. I can now communicate with an often misrepresented and misunderstood people. I now know that I can live comfortably in a country so completely foreign from my own.

This experience has drastically shaped me and who I am and will stay with me for forever, that I know. I think that some people got the impression that I disliked my experience out here because I so yearned for the US, but that is a completely false notion. I had a fantastic experience that caused me to grow up more, and with growing comes growing pains and frustrations, but overall the experience was well worth it and valuable.

I feel like I visited China during one of the best times, that is, a time of growth. China is attempting to reconcile the modern with the old, and I've been able to experience both. I fear that the old will eventually succumb to the pressures of the need to develop fully. I think once the Olympics are completed, the world will become more accepting of this country and its huge developments and improvements. I really look forward to seeing China in 10-- or even 5-- years. I doubt I'll even be able to recognize it.

So, I leave China with hope and open eyes. I'm not sad, not happy to leave. I'm just ready to get back to a normal class schedule, food not drowning in oil, and people who care about hygiene. I'll miss trading in beer bottles for ice cream, feeling "special" because I'm a foreigner, and being able to live like a queen because prices have yet to catch up with the western world's.

In about 12 hours I'll be catching a plane to Thailand. I fly into Bangkok then take a little plane to Phuket where I'll meet my friend from GW, Kirsten. We're in Phuket one night then to the little beach town of Krabi for a few days, then back to Bangkok for a day before I fly out on Saturday to return back home!

Thanks to everyone who read my blog, sent me letters or cards, and were so supportive over these last 6 months. It really made me realize how wonderful my friends and family are.

Much love,
Ashley

No comments: